March 26, 2009

13. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)

I'll confess I never wanted for a film to end faster than I did while watching this, even though at a little over ten minutes, it was no long ordeal.
It was like one of those awkward and embarrassing school plays. The people who made it were certainly ambitious and some of the stunts they used were hilarious, but the thing that made the experience somewhat tedious was the fact that there was way too much going on, on the screen.

I know this was the early stages of film making, and perhaps the people behind this piece thought of the screen as a giant stage that had to be filled.

I now give more credit to the way Frankenstein was made, as these two both hail from 1910.

one of the "donkeys" that took up much of the screen time

that's Toto on the left


giant mushrooms grow outside the witch's house


*

Directed by Otis Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment

speak now !